Prep time: 10-minutes
Cook time: Slow cooker – Low for 6-7 hours or high 3-4 hours
Crockpot – Low for 7-8 hours or high 3½ -4½ hours
1 ½ Onions (finely chopped)
5 Rashers of Bacon (cut into large strips)
450g Chicken (diced)
500g Sweet Potato (wash, keep skins on, cut & remove ends, cut potato into chunks)
1 Knorr Chicken Stock Cube
200g Boiling Water
20g Wholegrain mustard
400g Tinned Tomatoes (non ‘value’ option)
15g Tomato Paste
1 tsp Dried Majoram
1 tsp Dried Basil
15g Coconut Oil
200g Buttoned Mushrooms (cut in half)
Fresh Basil (to garnish)
240g Green Beans (60g per serving)
240g Broccoli (60g per serving)
Optional – 2 tsp Xanthan Gum
What you will need:
Slow cooker or Crockpot
Large mixing bowl
Pyrex measuring jug
Steamer (for vegetables)
How to make:
- Combine bacon and onion and place in the slow cooker. Arrange chicken and potatoes on top.
- In a measuring jug add chicken stock with hot water, stir until dissolved.
- In a large bowl combine mustard, tomatoes, paste, herbs, stock, coconut oil, stir together and spoon over chicken.
- Cover and cook according to times above.
- 1 hour before cooking has finished add mushrooms and if you’d like your sauce to thicken, add xanthan gum and stir.
- 6 minutes before serving, wash and steam vegetables.
- Spoon out casserole onto serving plate with vegetables, serve hot.
To reduce cooking time by an hour for either a slow cooker or a crockpot, boil chopped sweet potatoes for 8 minutes in a saucepan to soften, before adding to slow cooker with chicken as in step one.
Swap 450g chicken for 420g beef casserole meat.