Prep time: 20-minutes
Cook time: 40-minutes
600g Beef Mince (10% fat)
1 Small Onion
450g Mixed Vegetables from the following: Celery, Leek, Courgette
1 Knorr Beef Stock Cube
680g Sweet Potato
30g Coconut Oil (melted)
SPICES: Salt & Pepper, Sprinkle of Ground Nutmeg
400g Broccoli (100g per serving)
Optional – 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
What you will need:
1 x Non stick frying pan
1 x Saucepan
Pryex heat proof dish
Pre-heated oven: 375°F/190°C/Gas 5
1 x Steamer
How to make:
- Pre-heat oven to above temperature.
- Add mince to frying pan & cook on a medium heat. Once fat starts to liquidise add in onion and carrot to soften. After 5 minutes add in mixed veg, stock cubes, fresh parsley & spices, simmer for 5-10minutes.
- Prepare sweet potato (wash & chop; skins on optional), add to saucepan with boiling water. Boil until completely soft. Strain & mash with melted coconut oil (microwave for 1 minute on high heat in bowl).
- Back to frying pan: When mince lightly browns & liquid slightly thickens (add xanthan gum if not thickening) add to base of heat proof dish.
- When mince has been evenly distributed, top with mash sweet potato. Place in oven and cook for 40 minutes.
- Steam broccoli.
- Once cottage pie is cooked & broccoli soft, serve hot.
This recipe is ideal to freeze, defrost & reheat. Still tastes great!
You could use 640g of yams with this recipe instead of 680g sweet potato, or use half & half.